Author Topic: Ntrak module w Pennsy flavor  (Read 4859 times)

Specter3

• Crew
  • Respect: +149
Ntrak module w Pennsy flavor
« on: February 26, 2014, 03:31:12 PM »
I have been working on a junction module set. This will take the alt blue line which our club uses as it's switching branch and give it a connection to oNetrak or FreemoN style modules off the front side. Pennsy looking 4 line main for interest. The inside line will be essentially an 8 ft passing siding.

Did the Pennsy 4 track main ever have a single bore tunnel? I am not an SPF but I read a lot of those posts. I cant remember such a tunnel ever being discussed.

Going with all new track and scenery. There will be two more small 2x2 pieces. One will be on the front to bring the crossing line out to mate up with FreemoN type modules and another will be on the right end with simply a straight alt blue line and a switch that allows the standard blue line to split and mimic the Pennsy 4 track main. Now there has to be suspension of belief to think that the Pennsy would allow a grade level crossing by another railroad but beyond that I think it will be neat.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
Re: Ntrak module w Pennsy flavor
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 05:25:18 PM »
Did the Pennsy 4 track main ever have a single bore tunnel? I am not an SPF but I read a lot of those posts. I cant remember such a tunnel ever being discussed.

If you mean a four-track bore on the PRR, I would say I doubt it.  There would have to be a lot of extra (unnecessary) earth removed to get the needed height to retain the arch shape to support that kind of width.  Worse yet, the gaping portal would mean that you would really have to line and detail the inside of your model tunnel.  More common would be two double-track bores.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 09:22:45 AM »
The P-Company used single bores on tunnel hill, but they seperated the tracks. Here are a couple of shots of the Gallitzin Tunnels.

I never was able to photograph the New Portage tunnel, but I'm pretty sure it was a single track tunnel as well.

Here is where the tracks come back together just West of the Gallitzin tunnels.

Specter3

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 09:04:02 PM »
Well I have been trying to wrap my mind around how can we get a single line over the three mains and have it be semi plausible. No major road is going to let a single track cross at grade if they can help it. Well I got to visit Horseshoe Curve for a short bit and got to look at some of the surrounding area as well. Cresson used to have that flyover bridge to the Cresson Secondary....Hmmmm. I do own a Suburban again.

4 four ft modules with a single track offshoot to mate up with my Freemon modules. And it makes that three track main work prototypical, at least for a short bit.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 09:16:14 PM »
Every time this situation comes up, everyone goes over.  Wouldn't going under be much easier on many levels?

It's sort of hard to make out, but St. Paul had two flyovers, one one either side of a wye.

https://goo.gl/maps/84Z02

The west one you can see because there's a train on it.  The one on the east side looks like it stops, but it's tucked in the shadow of the flyover tracks.

Jason

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 02:13:30 AM »
I looked into doing an N-Trak to Free-moN interchange. The major challenge for me was making up the 10 inch height difference between the two standards. At the Free-moN allowable 1" in 48", it would take 40' of transition to make up the difference at just over a 2% grade. Kind of impractical.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Specter3

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 06:29:35 AM »
I am in an Ntrak club that is active. So I am doing this as a build it and they will come try. The Freemon modules will not be at the normal height though they will be a few inches higher than the Ntrak modules. But the legs I built have multiple adjustments on them to allow this. A couple members have said if I get some going they will build one or two as well. Especially the apartment dwellers we have in the club. But it is all wait and see for what I can do.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7960
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 10:50:46 AM »
I like it.

There's also a fly over just like this outside of Philly on the NEC.

Hiroe here built a set of modules based on it, with working cat too. It was a sight to behold.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3125
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 11:25:13 AM »
Maybe this helps? Borrowed from Joshua Surkosky's layout thread.  You can see the flyover center left, east side of the three tunnels.  Assuming you are modeling east of the tunnels, The Broad Way continues east to Horseshoe Curve.  The eastbound trains still use the portage tunnel, a two track single bore, which is south of the westbound Gallitszin and Allegheny tunnels which are single bores each as you stated.  That's a cool area of trackage for sure, east of the tunnels with all of the interlocking going on.

Specter3

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 07:16:23 PM »
Four planned modules. All built, 3 under way somewhat.

Need a lot of number 8 Pecos for the crossovers.

Specter3

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 09:18:36 PM »
Played around with the top of module 3. Hard to see it all when you dont have a space to put them end to end, except outside...

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Specter3

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 07:57:47 PM »
Been working on it.

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 01:23:18 PM »
Woo!
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 10:59:58 PM »
Great idea and plan. I would caution against using foam to carry the branch over your mains. The last thing you want is a transport accident, or more likely, someone unaware the support there is only foam to get heavy handed and destroy your work by accident.  That's definitely a place for some plywood.
Peter Pfotenhauer

Specter3

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 09:37:13 AM »
I agree with you. The foam is just a stand in for looking at it right now. I will use nice ply for the actual subroadbed and the in between joints will be freemon style butt joints. I believe I will have to scratch the longer bridge or at least kitbash a couple of atlas bridges together.

If anyone sees this and has a picture of the underpass I would love to see it.

THanks for looking.