Author Topic: Ryans tower Sss  (Read 5655 times)

gary60s

• Crew
  • Charter member of CAMRRA
  • Respect: +74
Ryans tower Sss
« on: October 08, 2013, 04:23:47 PM »
I scaled this from some excellent pics that Ryan(fullsteam88) provided. The original building was a tower, but was once located on the ground, so I did the ground version. You can add support legs and steps if you want. The footprint is 15/16” x 1 1/2” and is relatively easy to build. It would look good in a yard or anywhere trackside. If you don’t like the colors you can paint as desired. There is a part template to print so you can save measuring steps.

Choice of materials is up to you. It can be done in wood but sketches are based on styrene thicknesses. If you use another material adjust dimensions accordingly. I used .030 styrene, and .040 Evergreen #4031 clapboard siding. Trim is made from Evergreen #291 angle. Door and window openings are sized for Rslaserkits. You can also adjust openings for your own windows. Window material is easily cut from clear blister pack plastic. Paint parts before assembly, except where the edges glue to other parts.

The building directions are in the sketches, and to make your build easier you can enlarge them to full size and print them out.

Included sketches are: Overview sketches, Part template, assembly sketches and a prototype pic.

To print the part templates actual size, use the PDF. Select best printer quality, set PDF zoom to 100%, and page scaling to "none" or actual size. Check your printed page to see that 3" lines are exactly 3" long. Once you have template printed, you can cut with scissors (leave a 1/8" border) and arrange on your material for maximum sheet usage. Part templates for siding are a mirror image, when needed, so that you can cut walls with siding side down (easier to cut). Be sure siding grooves are oriented correctly. Use rubber cement to glue paper templates to your material and then just cut on lines. No measuring ! Paper comes off easily.

The hardest part of this build is beveling the fascia, but that can be done with a sanding block and some patience.

Cut out parts carefully using a SERB and straight edge. It is important to follow assembly sketches IN SEQUENCE or some parts may not fit, especially for trim and roof sections.

Follow assembly sketch directions.

Roofing material is up to you and Rich has some good choices. Unless you bevel the roof pieces there will be a 1/32” gap. Overlapping roofing material will cover these gaps and you can use label paper roofing.

PDF link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1pgsjc7ecy7i19s/k.pdf
Gary