Author Topic: HCD layout help  (Read 6562 times)

CincinnatiKid

• Respect: +7
HCD layout help
« on: August 15, 2013, 05:58:40 PM »
Hi all. First post!
A recent move has given me the opportunity to get back in the hobby. I'm an N scaler and I built a HCD layout based in the Carolina Central track plan a few years ago. Unfortunately I had to dismantle it but now I'm ready to start anew.

In our new place I have room for a HCD layout. I'm going to go with a 36"x80" door for the base and I'm using Atlas Code 55 track. I'd like some help regarding the design. I'm hoping to model a modern industrial district with maybe three or four industries and an interchange track that can be used for further expansion later on. I'm going with 15" radius curves as well. If anyone has any links to good track plans or any advice please let me know.

Cheers

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: HCD layout help
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 06:29:25 PM »
Kid,
Welcome to HCD heaven. Just search on HCD and you'll find all our discussions of them. David K Smith's n scale website also has several plans on it.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 07:05:41 PM »
You've definitely come to the right place.  Look under the forums in the Layout Engineering Reports and you will find threads for Dave Vollmer's PRR Juniata Division as well as my Seaboard Central.  There's also other small layouts in there, such as David K. Smith's Jersey City Industrial Railroad and Chris333's "Other" Industrial Layout.  There's tons of information here on The Railwire and in other places online, such as Philip suggested.

Remember, we like photos here at the 'Wire, or it didn't happen.

Hope this helps,
Dave Foxx

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

GimpLizard

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 08:21:02 AM »
One layout I've always found interesting is the St. Louis Central. http://www.gatewaynmra.org/projectmr.htm

It was built, in HO scale, by the Gateway Division of the NMRA back in 2001. But I think it would make a really nice industrial HCD layout in N scale.

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 09:31:43 AM »
Hi CincinnatiKid, From one new member to another, welcome aboard. The Carolina Central was a inspiration for my current HCD layout, which is a 30" x 80" hollow core door layout.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=29784.0

Dave Vollmer's PRR Juniata Division has also been a great inspiration and is now also a great Model Railroad.  As mentioned above, David K Smith has posted a lot of nice HCD layout track plans to this website and he is working on a very nice looking HCD layout.

Rich S.
Modeling the P&WV in "N" scale. 

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7940
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 09:33:23 AM »
That plan sure loves its diamonds...

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 09:50:53 AM »

Ed, I agree but as a industrial layout they work and add to the industrial theme. If I had the room I'd be tempted to create that HO layout in N scale on a 30 x 80 HCD.

Rich S.
Modeling the P&WV in "N" scale.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2284
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 10:10:59 AM »

If you've railfanned around St. Louis you then understand why. StL is was "Chicago lite", with tracks everywhere and relatively level terrain, so crossings-at-grade were pretty much the rule of the day.

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 08:42:20 PM »
HCD layouts come in very different versions:
--Self-contained layout in the middle of a room with all-around access (island)
--shoved against a wall longside or shortside (limited access);
--a section/module of a larger layout.

As already mentioned, David K. Smith has many fine HCD layouts on his website: http://whiteriverandnorthern.net/plans.htm

Byron Henderson has a nifty "Howard Terminal" HCD layout (both point to point and continuous running) on his website: http://www.layoutvision.com/gallery/id52.html

Though it requires most-around access.

If the HCD will be up against a wall, then a very different approach is needed for continuous running, usually some larger industries in the front with a few staging tracks hidden by buildings / hills in the back (figure 8's and "open top" designs which expose all the track make it look too toy train).

Also, as others have suggested, is to look at the many smaller layout designs--like for the 2'x4's or 3'x5's--and expand the design to have more scenery on the HCD.

And websites like Trainboard and Nscale.Net have HCD threads
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 08:55:05 PM »
What mean this "HCD" ?

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 09:02:01 PM »
What mean this "HCD" ?

"Hollow Core Door"

Though sometimes also "Honey Compromise Design" (until basement/garage takeover for layout possible).
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 09:12:13 PM »
I see....thanks

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 12:13:12 AM »
Though sometimes also "Honey Compromise Design" (until basement/garage takeover for layout possible).

Just realized some might take that comment as a slight.
Clarification: By which I mean a lovely size for a quality layout that can balance both some serious scenes and longerish trains for those of us who don't have the space or stability for a larger "basement-filler" layout.
Personally, I'm hoping one day I have the space and stability to be able to build a HCD-ish sized layout.
(Though I'd build it in two sections for easier transport in car to shows to share)
Or larger.

Anyway, still comes down to island/peninsula or against-the-wall in terms of design consideration.
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN

CincinnatiKid

• Respect: +7
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 11:34:23 PM »
Here's one of the plans I came up with. Basically it's the Carolina Central with Code 55
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:37:02 PM by CincinnatiKid »

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 08:05:09 AM »

Second switch from the right, bottom right, flip it from a right to a left. This will eliminate the S-curve there.