Author Topic: Baton Rouge Southern - Chapter 2  (Read 25787 times)

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1529
    • Layout Progress Blog
Baton Rouge Southern - Chapter 2
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:39:32 AM »
So I've sort of had a blog of the layout at MRH for a while (http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/blog/kcsphil1), but I don't update it as frequently as I should.  Then there's my contributions to Weekend update here - those would probably form a blog is I ever bothered to aggregate them.  But watching the apparently seemless way MC and others post the same thing across multiple platforms (!) I never bothered with  a Layout Engineering Report on TRW - until now.

In this week's Weekend Edition (https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=30274.msg332078#msg332078) I inadvertently created a Layout Design conundrum by reporting on my attempts to get Elkins squared away in it's new home, without enough photo documentation to satisfy the masses.  The photo that started it all was this one:

For reasons I can't fathom ( :facepalm:) that wasn't enough for folks, so a series of shots was requested.   8)  Here they are:

This is the back end of Elkins in its current orientation.  Note the wooden filing cabinet in the photo - it could move 3 or 4 more inches away from the wall, but no more then that.

Next, the enginhouse end.  The overpass is coming off - it doesn't fit my prototype, and I don't need the control panel for the tortoises I don't have installed.

The corner - remember there's a clawfoot tub on the other side of that wall.

Aerial of the connection area, showing the switching lead to the refinery and the mainline running at the bottom left of the photo.

Further up the main

And finally, the Refinery and main, with the connection to the L&A/KCS/BRS yard running off lower left

So, there you have it.  I am still considering flipping Elkins 180 degrees, but that would mean adding a new switch to the current yard throat since the switch to get into the yard tracks is right at the front.

Have at it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:41:24 AM by Philip H »
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: Baton Rouge Southern - Chapter 2
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:07:24 AM »
If it were me, given how solidly things are currently in place, I'd actually notch the corner of the wall; the wall is likely more than thick enough that the notch would not even come close to breaking through. Use a hacksaw to cut through the corner bead, a straight saw to kerf the corner stud, and a chisel to remove enough wood to clear a connection between the two layout portions. I doubt it would cause the loss of any structural integrity (corners are usually reinforced with multiple studs), and it could be disguised in any number of ways--a structure or small cluster of structures, a road bridge (extend and angle the current one), etc. You may need to remove and realign the first switch on the Elkins section so things align better.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:16:12 AM by David K. Smith »

Philip H

• Crew
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 10:52:22 AM »
David,
Hanging around Lee and Eric and Ed one gives up the idea anything is ever permanently in place.  That aside, the Household COO has politely requested no wall alterations unless we doing the teardown and rebuild.  If that happens, everything will have to come out anyway.

What I really need is to realign the main from back where it splits to the "passing siding" in front of the refinery down through the yard throat.  It would mean redoing the refinery connection and probably eliminating the storm water pond I'm working on, but it would flow more smoothly.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7962
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 11:12:44 AM »
Why don't you just pull the current layout forward about 8" to line up the main with the mains in Elkins. Then flip the orientation of that switch at the end of the current railroad and everything might just line up.

Then, just get a bunch of supertrees to fill the new void at the back between the current layout and the wall.

Philip H

• Crew
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 11:46:06 AM »
possible - then I'd have to loose the same distance in the benchwork that supports the yard (which was going to be a four lane divided highway signature scene.

Plus the refinery is screwed to the studs on 3 sides and PERFECTLY level in all directions.  A crowning achievement if I do say so myself!

And as to Super trees - I need a few bald cypress to throw in . . . . :trollface:
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 11:47:56 AM »
I like Ed's idea.

Considering the areas you model (deep South) are you going to do any swampy areas?  Wooden treste over a swamp would look really cool.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 11:48:14 AM »

Take the right hand mainline turnout in the bottom middle of this photo and change it to a left hand turnout, which will change the angle of the single track mainline heading towards that corner.  That will move the mainline away from the corner and should allow you to connect to Elkins without a sharp curve.  By also changing the industry track's turnout from the mainline to a right hand turnout (hey- you can swap these turnouts at zero cost to you!) and a little track realignment, you should be able to easily reconnect to the industry trackage at the back of your layout without disturbing those turnouts back there.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Philip H

• Crew
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 11:57:26 AM »
Take the right hand mainline turnout in the bottom middle of this photo and change it to a left hand turnout, which will change the angle of the single track mainline heading towards that corner.  That will move the mainline away from the corner and should allow you to connect to Elkins without a sharp curve.  By also changing the industry track's turnout from the mainline to a right hand turnout (hey- you can swap these turnouts at zero cost to you!) and a little track realignment, you should be able to easily reconnect to the industry trackage at the back of your layout without disturbing those turnouts back there.

DFF

You sir are a genius!  Name the six pack of craft beer of your choice and I'll bring it to our next meet-up.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 11:59:01 AM »
Following Dave's most excellent, six-pack-worthy suggestion, it might look something like this--

The foreground area could be swampy, and the tracks elevated on trestles, to make Bob happy...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:01:11 PM by David K. Smith »

Philip H

• Crew
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 12:06:24 PM »
I like Ed's idea.

Considering the areas you model (deep South) are you going to do any swampy areas?  Wooden treste over a swamp would look really cool.

Not much swamp between the prototype refinery and the KCS yard in Baton Rouge - it's all been filled in.

But this dock on the Mississippi River and its marsh are already underway on the opposite side of the room:

http://binged.it/122sriC
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 01:23:30 PM »
So now you have to find some N scale gators and cottonmouths along with all the assorted birds which hang out there.

Philip H

• Crew
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 01:30:29 PM »
birds are on shapeways; gators can be found.  Snakes are just painted thread . . . .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 06:19:09 PM »
Not much swamp between the prototype refinery and the KCS yard in Baton Rouge - it's all been filled in.

But this dock on the Mississippi River and its marsh are already underway on the opposite side of the room:

http://binged.it/122sriC

but if you go over toward Slidell ... there is swamp there

Philip H

• Crew
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 07:34:55 PM »
True, and even more on the west side of the Mississippi.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer

Philip H

• Crew
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 12:04:49 PM »
Started realignment last night - pics to come.  While doing so, I noodled DKS sketch of DFF solution.  I can change the right hand and left hand turnouts easily enough, but I'm wondering if I need another straight LH turn out to start the yard leads as sketched, or would a curved LH be better (not that those are readily available).  thoughts?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer