Author Topic: PRR x48's ala George Hollwedel  (Read 4978 times)

skm

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Re: PRR x48's ala George Hollwedel
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 11:03:26 AM »
Here's my modified one, with extended draft gear added to indicate a cushioned underframe and swapped in ASF A-3 trucks.  I still have to lower the end tack boards.

Nice Bryan!
You work fast, I have mine, but haven't added Ed's draft gear yet.
You are fast approaching the title 'SPF' or at least 'PF' with this much attention to an outside road!  :D

Have the paint to match for touch-ups? If not, don't worry,  I'll do my own homework.... :P
Cheers,
Scott

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 11:19:38 AM »
I got mine, too...  It's gorgeous!

It's really too bad the X48 was such a small class (20 cars) compared to the overall PRR freight car fleet, or I'd have done the 3-pack.

If only we could get accurate X29 rebuilds in N scale...!

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 12:15:16 PM »
Nice Bryan!
You work fast, I have mine, but haven't added Ed's draft gear yet.
You are fast approaching the title 'SPF' or at least 'PF' with this much attention to an outside road!  :D
Have the paint to match for touch-ups? If not, don't worry,  I'll do my own homework.... :P

The advantage to modeling New Haven is that you get to include a ton of Pennsy equipment.  8)

I don't remember the color, as I took the draft gear from a test-shot Pennsy X58 floor/underframe.  The color is whatever the PRRH&TS recommends.  It matches what Atlas used for the model.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

skm

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 11:36:36 PM »
I got mine, too...  It's gorgeous! It's really too bad the X48 was such a small class (20 cars) compared to the overall PRR freight car fleet, or I'd have done the 3-pack.
If only we could get accurate X29 rebuilds in N scale...!

I couldn't help myself, I got all three! I'm lucky George didn't do a six pack! :P
I did a little research on these as the PRR usually didn't do things by halves! 8) Didn't make much sense that they only had 20 PS1s...

Pullman built 100 cars with a cushioned underframe and split them up amongst 8 roads.
They must have practically given them away as the roads either were already big customers or had not purchased any previously.
The feedback must not have been good, as Pullman didn't built any more PS1 with cushioned underframes!

There was an interesting discussion on the PRR-Modelling group regarding the X48 being delivered with black painted ends. Didn't seem to have a definitive answer?

With the PRR X48 and the NYC scheme that Atlas just released, we have two examples from the same Pullman lot (8160).

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:41:22 PM by skm »
Cheers,
Scott

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 05:22:29 AM »
PRR 47003 doesn't appear to have black ends in this builder's photo.  And it's unlikely that the cars would have been repainted and retain the SK scheme, given the initial build date and the railroad's introduction of the PK scheme a few short years later.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 10:34:36 AM »
PRR 47003 doesn't appear to have black ends in this builder's photo.

Really? Many of the b/w builders photos are hard to tell sometimes, but that one looks pretty clear that the ends are black.

Jason

Cory Rothlisberger

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 11:09:29 AM »
There's a color shot of a dusty X48 in Volume 2 of the PRR Color Guide on page 50. George and I agreed that the ends looked brown in that shot.  I'll let you guys debate that one though...

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 11:56:33 AM »
Really? Many of the b/w builders photos are hard to tell sometimes, but that one looks pretty clear that the ends are black.

Hardly.  The shading of the curved end posts, the side face of the end corrugations, the side of the extended draft gear and the ladder posts all match the side of the body.  Conversely, the shading of the front edge of the door matches the end tackboard.  No black ends.

And, where is there a color photo example of any Pennsy freight car painted oxide red with the shadow-keystone scheme with black ends?  I've never seen one.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 12:09:58 PM »
I'm not saying they are black.  I'm just saying that photo looks black to me.  But I can see why someone would think differently.

Jason

skm

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 12:05:54 AM »
Sorry, I didn't mean to stir up any controversy regarding the black ends!
Ben Hom made a statement to that effect on the PRR-Talk list that I thought was interesting.
Was just mentioning it as someone else might have further information?
I was not questioning the scheme as presented by George or anyone else.

The pic I posted was not meant to be evidence of black ends, merely a nice shot of the class.
It does show how beautifully George managed to capture the look of the class though.  :D

Cheers,
Scott

skm

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 01:20:52 AM »
Nvm
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:35:10 PM by skm »
Cheers,
Scott