Author Topic: Kato Union Pacific St. Louis  (Read 1614 times)

Bobster

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
Kato Union Pacific St. Louis
« on: August 17, 2012, 07:40:56 PM »
Good evening all,

Just a quick question.  What is so desirable about this N scale business car compared to the other N scale Kato business cars?  Am I missing something obvious?

Thank you,
Bob 

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
Re: Kato Union Pacific St. Louis
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 08:38:21 PM »
There has been two cars that were named St. Louis that are in the business car fleet... which one are you talking about?  As far as Kato is concerned, are you referring to the business car model being painted and lettered this way or is it something different?  I, for one, don't quite understand that part of your question.

Bobster

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 08:56:06 PM »
Thank you for your reply,

I was trying to be somewhat vague because I don't  want to get involved in an ebay debate.  So to be clearer then.  A week or so ago I was looking at ebay I noticed an auction for the Kato N scale business cars St. Louis and Cheyenne.  The bid had started low but the pair ended up selling for over $100.  Other business cars by Kato weren't drawing that kind of attention.  Were St Louis and Cheyenne limited editions?  I didn't pay that much for my Kato Chicago Business car.  It's a nice smooth runner but again even new I didn't pay that much.

Thanks again,
Bob

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 09:37:56 PM »
As far as I know, the two UP cars were just other roadnames issued around the same time as the rest.

There is nothing special about them and they are not even close to any UP business cars - except marginally similar to the Sunset, an ex-SP car.  The Sunset was actually longer, had a different wheel arrangement and 2 3 axle trucks.  It is currently painted yellow to match the UP fleet.

It's the worst kept secret on earth that Kato is doing the heritage fleet business cars in N - probably within the next 6 months, so just hang on and get the real McCoy.  (People were around when Kato was measuring the cars....)

- Lou

Bobster

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 09:48:42 PM »
Thank you Lou,

Appreciate the answer.

Bob

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 02:09:56 AM »
 :|                The only correct model for Kato's business car is Burlington's "Burlington" built by Budd for the Q. Burlington rebuilt a heavyweight car into the "Roundup" which resembles the lightweight car,but rides on modern six wheel trucks  (think Bachmann Full Dome Car). Kato's car is close to the Santa Fe's light weight car also built by Budd,but no cookie. All the rest of the paint schemes are foobs so to speak ,because many of the roads like Union Pacific did not have fluted side business cars although the two names used were on smoothside business cars. I take it back SP's "Sunset" built by pullman has fluted sides,Kato used this name also a Cotton Belt car name on their model.Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 09:11:10 AM »
I wonder if anyone has tried to update the Round Up with 6 wheel trucks..............
Brian

Way of the Zephyr