Author Topic: Seaboard Central 2.0  (Read 403969 times)

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #2835 on: December 04, 2016, 07:25:10 PM »
+1
Dave, looks awesome! If you wanted to try Kudzu Jesus's arms again, what about using a thin piece of wire, perhaps like what comes with a tortoise motor for the length of the arms? That way you could sculpt them to whatever arc you want.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2836 on: December 04, 2016, 07:41:22 PM »
+1
Dave, looks awesome! If you wanted to try Kudzu Jesus's arms again, what about using a thin piece of wire, perhaps like what comes with a tortoise motor for the length of the arms? That way you could sculpt them to whatever arc you want.

I was thinking along same lines, maybe using piano wire or similar.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #2837 on: December 05, 2016, 10:53:15 AM »
+1

A good idea, but I'm not going to try.  First, I would have to figure out how to support and secure the wire, but the real problem for me is that every time I touch the kudzu or lines, everything gets knocked out of whack.  Of course, allowing the adhesive to dry overnight will make the kudzu more sturdy, but too much pressure on the lines causes a line pole to spin in its hole in the foam substrate and the wires' sags get messed up.  Secondly, my fingers are just too big or klutzy for this type of finesse work.  I'm calling it done, except . . .

I may try to use a few drops of CA and just leaves on the wires to see if I can give the impression of the vines growing out on the lines.  It will be lacking the draped effect of the vines on the wires, but I'm okay with that.

Thanks,
DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2427
« Reply #2838 on: December 05, 2016, 08:23:36 PM »
+1
AT&T approved
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #2839 on: December 08, 2016, 09:30:03 PM »
+2
As for thin red striping on the drip edge, why not use some red decal stripes? You should be able to find a set that matches your needs, and then there are the UP red stripe sets MicroScale sells.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #2840 on: December 08, 2016, 09:43:22 PM »
+1
As for thin red striping on the drip edge, why not use some red decal stripes? You should be able to find a set that matches your needs, and then there are the UP red stripe sets MicroScale sells.

We're on the same page.  But for the UP red wouldn't match the red that I used for the windows and doors, that's a really good idea.  My thought, when I get back to the station project, is to spray some blank decal film with my red paint.  Cut narrow strips and voila!

Thanks,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #2841 on: December 08, 2016, 09:59:18 PM »
+4
I added a little kudzu to the wires- leaves only, no vines, which kept the lines from being pulled down non-prototypically.  I spread CA on the wires with a microbrush and then sprinkled the leaves over it.  We'll see how much sticks after it dries.  :P

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1296
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #2842 on: December 08, 2016, 10:16:42 PM »
+1
Looks good Dave!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2843 on: December 09, 2016, 07:47:27 AM »
+1
Praise the Kudzu King!
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #2844 on: December 09, 2016, 10:46:56 AM »
Can you take one itty bitty macro shot of that roof for me @davefoxx ??

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #2845 on: December 09, 2016, 11:03:43 AM »
Can you take one itty bitty macro shot of that roof for me @davefoxx ??

@Lemosteam,

I can try.  Do you want straight-on shot to get just the pattern without distortion for perspective or just a close-in shot of the entire roof?

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #2846 on: December 09, 2016, 11:12:51 AM »
Dave,

I keep showing Patricia (from southern Virginia) your kudzu pictures and she's extremely impressed...probably more than she is with any of my scenery attempts, anyway!

Now...the elephant in the room.  Southern pines.  Longleaf and loblolly.  The next giant leap.  Any ideas?

EDIT:  Found this, not sure if it "scales" well to N:

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/15501
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 11:15:12 AM by Dave Vollmer »

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #2847 on: December 09, 2016, 11:31:14 AM »
Dave,

I keep showing Patricia (from southern Virginia) your kudzu pictures and she's extremely impressed...probably more than she is with any of my scenery attempts, anyway!

Now...the elephant in the room.  Southern pines.  Longleaf and loblolly.  The next giant leap.  Any ideas?

EDIT:  Found this, not sure if it "scales" well to N:

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/15501

@Dave Vollmer,

Oh, boy, you've hit the nail on the head.  Pine trees native to the Sandhills of the Carolinas really should be the next modeling project that I undertake.  Once I do discover a method that is effective in N scale, it would be a big breakthrough for me, because, as you know, there are no commercially available model trees of Southern, Loblolly, or Longleaf Pines.  So, the best way to do it will be to build the trees individually by hand, not unlike that as seen in the link in your post.  But, holy moly, it's going to take forever to populate the layout.  That's why I just used SuperTrees to fill the layout for now.

Honestly, I haven't decided whether that effort is worth it on this layout (although it would correct that pesky spring/fall thing that's happening on the layout).

Thank you (and Patricia)!
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #2848 on: December 09, 2016, 11:53:06 AM »
A ran into this issue when I was trying to model Apex, NC with my oldest son (the layout that got recycled into the Colorado Midland).  Since it was meant as a father-son project with a minimal amount of difficult scratchbuilding, I went with the Woodland Scenics "pine trees."  The more I look at those the more I realize they don't really look like any species of tree I've ever seen, Eastern, Western, European, or otherwise.  I recommend staying away from those.

I think what you may have to do is say, two or three "clumps" of these trees of less than 10 trees apiece just to give the feel.  'Cause honestly it's just not North Carolina sandhills country without 'em.  My house in Apex backed against a huge longleaf pine forest.  That damn pine straw is everywhere also...I'm guessing a rusty orange electrostatic grass (if you can find one) scattered horizontally would do the trick for longleaf pine straw.

If I come up with any bright ideas, I'll let you know.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #2849 on: December 09, 2016, 12:15:01 PM »
A ran into this issue when I was trying to model Apex, NC with my oldest son (the layout that got recycled into the Colorado Midland).  Since it was meant as a father-son project with a minimal amount of difficult scratchbuilding, I went with the Woodland Scenics "pine trees."  The more I look at those the more I realize they don't really look like any species of tree I've ever seen, Eastern, Western, European, or otherwise.  I recommend staying away from those.

I think what you may have to do is say, two or three "clumps" of these trees of less than 10 trees apiece just to give the feel.  'Cause honestly it's just not North Carolina sandhills country without 'em.  My house in Apex backed against a huge longleaf pine forest.  That damn pine straw is everywhere also...I'm guessing a rusty orange electrostatic grass (if you can find one) scattered horizontally would do the trick for longleaf pine straw.

If I come up with any bright ideas, I'll let you know.

That's a great idea to do a few clumps of pines for effect.  That hadn't occurred to me.  I was just picturing an entire pine forest.  But, now, this would make it much less of a monumental task to populate the layout.  Well, I figured out kudzu after much hemming and hawing, I'm sure that I can figure out how to build an effective pine tree, too.  But, keep me posted, if you come up with anything.

Ha!  I used to live in and around Winston-Salem in the early 1990s.  I once owned a house in Lewisville, NC on a 3/4-acre plot of land.  Since we were in a wooded area, the front yard was all pine straw, so I'm familiar with that!

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!