Author Topic: HO Shelf Switching Layout  (Read 17766 times)

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
Re: HO Shelf Switching Layout
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 12:52:52 PM »
I'll be raising up some of the industrial areas on a layer of sheet cork, in order to raise some areas of the terrain very slightly, and to level it off with the tracks in places like the scrapyard and team track.

Industrial trackage isn't usually as uniformly nicely graded as a well-kept mainline, which is the effect that using the cork roadbed kind of gets you. By raising certain areas, profiling the spurs down in others and leaving some areas down to bare plywood the terrain will have some variation. It won't be extremely deep below track level, but that's ok. There will be a bit of a drop below track level in some places thanks to the roadbed, and some very small hills and rises can be introduced in others.

Ultimately, most of the layout will be taken up by industries and parking/driving areas, so it will be flat, but not billiard-table flat.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 12:57:29 PM »
I guess my point is that even things that are "flat" aren't really "flat". Take a hard look around in places like this and you'll see that there are undulations. Small ones, in fact, sometimes very small ones, but it's the inclusion of such small things that really makes layouts stand out.

cv_acr

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 04:52:12 PM »
Don't worry, there will be some undulations and terrain variations, but I don't necessarily need to go down 1/2" to a full inch below track level to get that effect.

extra7000south

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 10:58:05 AM »
Chris the progress is looking good!!  :)

I had a friend scan me a copy of the original article from Model Railroader March 1986 entitled "Railroading for City Lovers" that you started with and I thought it was quite interesting.
Although there isn't much information and no actual layout photos (Just drawings) in the article, I did like the multi-level design that they used.

But I believe that you are on the right track with the modifications and look forward to seeing more in the future.
Glenn
Petal, MS
Modeling Southern Railway In N {Normal} Scale

MGSC-NRHS
http://www.msrailroads.com/MGS.htm

cv_acr

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 09:59:55 PM »
Chris the progress is looking good!!  :)

I had a friend scan me a copy of the original article from Model Railroader March 1986 entitled "Railroading for City Lovers" that you started with and I thought it was quite interesting.
Although there isn't much information and no actual layout photos (Just drawings) in the article, I did like the multi-level design that they used.

But I believe that you are on the right track with the modifications and look forward to seeing more in the future.

Thanks Glenn. I used that track plan for my previous layout, which is now pretty much abandoned. It's a neat plan but has severe limitations with the length of the switching leads, and could really stand to have a few extra feet added on each end. This new layout really bears no resemblance to that track plan.

cv_acr

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 10:07:09 PM »
Here comes the messy bit of land formation:

The factory area, after cleanup and bolting the modules back together. The factory building is raised up to the level of the roadbed on a pair of thin sheets of cork, that'll allow depressions along the track, and added a little bit of an embankment behind the interchange track.

Looking back towards the first module, with some land formation around the team track, and added in a road which crosses the tracks at grade. The road is elevated and will have shallow drainage ditches on either side. There's also a shallow ditch between the lead and the scrapyard at right.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 10:37:25 AM by cv_acr »

cv_acr

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 10:27:51 PM »
Started doing some basic scenery work and slapped down a coat of base paint. Waiting for my FastTracks order to come in with track supplies so I can start laying track. I really need to get that before I can really start doing much more at this point.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 10:39:36 AM by cv_acr »

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1524
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2011, 10:19:12 AM »
Really nice work Chris.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2011, 10:02:39 PM »
Diggin it Chris!

davidgray1974

• Crew
  • "...." - Luke Skywalker
  • Respect: +224
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2011, 08:09:49 PM »
Looking good.  Any new updates?

Modeling the L&N, well at least a few times a year.

cv_acr

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 01:37:55 PM »
Unfortunately not much to report at the moment. I'm kind of help up waiting for an order of track supplies from FastTracks that's been a while in coming. Last time I followed up with them they said that a few items like code 55 rail joiners were out of stock and at the time they weren't quite sure when MicroEngineering was actually going to get them a new supply.

(Not to take that as a slight against FastTracks at all. They responded very quickly to my inquiries, and as nothing has shipped yet, my credit card still hasn't been charged. No problems with the company or their service, just stuff being out of stock and waiting for it  :'( )
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:39:47 PM by cv_acr »

cv_acr

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 05:04:17 PM »
FastTracks order came in today, so track laying can now begin!

cv_acr

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 11:59:51 PM »
This past Friday I got my track supplies in (ties, rails, some tools, etc.) from FastTracks. This week I've started working on laying ties on the layout.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 10:50:34 AM by cv_acr »

extra7000south

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 01:02:30 PM »
Looks like some good progress Chris!!  8)
Glenn
Petal, MS
Modeling Southern Railway In N {Normal} Scale

MGSC-NRHS
http://www.msrailroads.com/MGS.htm

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 01:18:08 PM »
Really nice start.  I really wish I could grab some trackage rights in out second bedroom.  This is really nice, and the benchwork is superb.  Any drawings or other photos of how it was constructed?
~ Matt