Author Topic: Steam Era vs. Diesel Era Weathering  (Read 1914 times)

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
Steam Era vs. Diesel Era Weathering
« on: July 15, 2007, 05:51:53 PM »
I finally caught up on the weathering discussion posted recently on the steam era freight car yahoo list.  It got me to thinking about the weathering I’ve seen posted on The Railwire and my own efforts (which come up far short of what I see here).  The STMFC list thread was initiated by the announcement that Mike Rose’s weathering DVD was now available.  Mike models Conrail, (80’s I believe) and the point was made that, while his techniques are excellent, steam era freight cars weathered differently than diesel era cars and everything he describes might not produce the  effect a steam era modeler is after.  Many different factors are involved, some obvious (the presence of steam locos then, the ready availability of spray paint bombs now), some not so obvious (better durability of lead based paint then, better overall air quality now). 

My question to The Railwire weathering experts, especially steam era modelers:  Have you given any thought to the difference I’ve described?  Do you use the same techniques the Railwire gurus use for modern rolling stock?  Washes, air brush, chalks?  A combination of all three?

Steve